Emerald Activities Site and Forum Guidelines
You have the ability, as you register, to choose your username. We ask that you keep the name appropriate and do not use your real name. With this user account you are about to register, you agree to never give your password out to another person except an administrator, for your protection and for validity reasons. You also agree to NEVER use another person's account for any reason. We also HIGHLY recommend you use a complex and unique password for your account, to prevent account theft.
Also note that the software places a cookie, a text file containing bits of information (such as your username and password), in your browser's cache. This is ONLY used to keep you logged in/out. The software does not collect or send any other form of information to your computer.
Forum and Website Rules
- No sharing of personal information (ages, real names, addresses, phone numbers, e-mails, etc...)
- All posts and images must be child-friendly (no sexual discussion/imagery and no extreme violence).
- No spam (that goes for advertising unrelated products/services, or posting things like "come to roleplay" etc...).
- Please refrain from posting gibberish or constructing quote pyramids.
- Also, please limit your use of little signature pets and such (keep it to one or two small pets).
- No rudeness, nonconstructive critisism, mean spirited, hurtful, or insulting posts.
- As long as people are being polite and staying on topic, anyone can post in any unlocked thread.
- No discrimination based on membership, beliefs, race, age, or any other reason!
- No political or religious debates
- Please do not make mutiple accounts (or delete your account to make a new one).
- Post only in the correct boards. (Keep your cat/dragon selves in roleplay, your pets in pets, and your stories in storytelling.)
- No typing all in caps (yelling).
- No swearing, or creative swearing (like changing letters for numbers).
- No name calling. It doesn't matter if the name is made up or not.
- No mean faces (if used in a way that is mean).
- No posts with words like hate, kill, suicide, murder, when referring to real life.
- No taking sides against each other.
- No fighting/bickering/bullying.
- Only Emerald Activities moderators may enforce these rules.
- No posts that violate Canadian or International laws.
Posting in our forum is not a "Right". The Forum and our site are privileges, and if you abuse them we will take appropriate action. This forum is moderated and the moderators may take any or all of the following measures with any unsuitable content, as they see fit. This is a manual process, however, please realize that we may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately. This policy applies to member profile information and submitted images as well.
- Deleting/Removing Posts
- Editing/Modifying Posts
- Locking Topics
- Removing Topics
- Banning users
- E-mailing warnings to users
- Posting warnings to users
- Deleting accounts and/or images
There are no excuses for inappropriate behaviour. (Having a bad day, or a crazy home, too much sugar, a death in the family, a bad day at school, etc...) If you are having a bad day, then try to have some friendly conversation to make yourself feel better. Its always a good idea to seek out help from the adults in your life (parents, teachers, family friends) when you are feeling stressed or having troubles. They can't always help (and I know you won't always want them to help), but if they know whats going on they might be able to be a bit more supportive when you need it most.
Anyone who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to notify an administrator or moderator of this forum immediately so that the situation can be dealt with as soon as possible.
Other Site Policies and FAQs
What if someone is being mean/inappropriate?
If you feel as if you are being singled out by someone and/or someone is being mean to you, please try the following:
- Report the posts where the problem occurred to a moderator
- Privately e-mail Booradley or Emerald with your concerns
- Start a fight
- Retaliate with "crying", "yelling", "namecalling"
- Threaten the forum with leaving
- Talk about how awful the other person is
- Talk about how no one understands you
What if you stop posting to that person but they read it and post to you to make you mad or get you in trouble?
The best thing to do is to report the newest of the offending posts, with an explanation of the situation. There are so many posts on here we don't always see stuff right away. Then just ignore that thread until one of us has gotten on and spoken to the person in question. I know its hard not to get angry, but it is never constructive to just say something back when you are angry. With every new post that is added, things escalate further out of control.
What if someone copies me?
If you don't want anyone to mimic your work, you really can't put it online. Its one of the things about the internet, everything is shared, traded, copied, and built upon until it is something altogether new. I am constantly finding my work in weird places, grabbed by people who didn't even sign the old guest book, lol. It does no good to get upset about it. Letting people share your images and become inspired by you will get you more friends and your work seen by more people in the long run.
Thats why we embrace the "copying is the sincerest form of flattery" policy. That way someone can look at your image and make something fabulous inspired by it, and then you can look at mine and do the same. If someone is putting up exactly your images please bring it to my attention, but otherwise just thank them for admiring your work.
Also keep in mind that not everyone has tons of good ideas. Some people need a little help to get their creativity going...
What if someone takes over my roleplay topic?
It is only fair that everyone gets their chance to guide their own topic. Some people are completely unafraid to jump in and put their own twist on things, that can be a good thing... but it can also be hard if you are trying to guide a story or idea a certain way. Your best reponse is to try and explain your own position clearly and calmly. If you can't work things out, then message a moderator to help out.
If you don't like the idea that the creator of the role play topic has, then please split off and start your own topic with your take on the idea rather than ignoring their wishes. The threads might be similar at first, but over time I am sure it will become its own unique story.
I want to help, what can I do?
- Say hello and welcome to every new person you see.
- If there is a disagreement don't take a side, offer potential solutions instead.
- If you see a post that you think is a problem that you can't solve, report it to us.
- If someone is having a bad day, let them know that you care.
- Try your best to be positive about things that you read, don't always just look for the negative.
- Offer compromises.
- If you see a misunderstanding starting, then fix it.
- If someone says that you don't understand, have a conversation and find out why things are bothering them.
- Don't take offense to things others say
- If you see a problem starting, then please report the post!
If you are 18 or over, and interested in helping out by becoming a volunteer moderator on the forum, then please contact Emerald (Heather Harvey) at firstname.lastname@example.org. We would love to hear from you.